Contact Me






Thursday, July 29, 2010

5 Tips For The Wannabe Couponer

I hear lots of excuses why people don't use coupons - I don't have the time, I never see coupons for what I buy, generics are cheaper...... But, if you are here, you are past the excuses, and want to get serious about saving money. The next step is knowing how to get started.

1. It's easier than it looks - Sure, there are some new things to learn, but couponing isn't rocket science, it doesn't take years to master, and everyone can save money using coupons. You just need to make the commitment to use them.

2. Read and reread- You will never master a new skill without spending some time learning the ropes. I started by reading Coupon Moms' Tutorials. Some other good resources are 15 Days of Couponing at Bargain Briana and 31 Days to a Better Grocery Budget at Money Saving Mom. Yes, the information can be overwhelming at first, so just pick one. Read and reread a little bit each day. After a few days, it will start to make sense.

3. Subscribe to, or follow on Facebook, a blog that covers your local grocery stores - Check out a few blogs that cover your area stores and pick one that fits your personality. Of course, if you are in St Louis, I would love you to follow Coupon STL. Don't worry about using coupons yet, just get the hang of what information you can find online. Some of the best information is in the comments, so don't forget to check them also.

4. Ask questions - Leave your questions in blog comment sections, on coupon forums, or email me. Couponers are the friendliest group of people I've ever been associated with. Every couponer has lots of questions starting out - don't be embarrassed to ask.

5. Buy the Sunday paper - The Sunday coupon inserts are the cheapest and easiest way to acquire a coupon stash. You'll need multiple coupons to take advantage of the best deals. One Sunday paper per person in your family, or a minimum of three, is a good rule of thumb to start with. Don't worry about clipping or using the coupons yet. Save them until you are ready to take the plunge into couponing.

I got started couponing after I saw Coupon Mom on Oprah in October 2008. She didn't look like a crazy coupon lady, and she made sense. I read more about couponing online, and within a week bought 4 Sunday papers. I've never looked back and can't make myself pay full price for consumable products.

Seasoned couponers - How did you get started couponing, and what 5 tips would you give a wannabe couponer?

5 comments:

  1. I accidentally stumbled upon some coupon blogs last October and haven't looked back since! Honestly, I can't imagine living any other way! We just moved to rural Wisconsin, and it's a 25-45 minute drive to any grocery stores, so this has presented a new challenge for me. (Dollar General in "town" has become my new best friend!)

    A couple tips:
    1. Start out slow. Don't try too many deals at once!
    2. Definitely get a weekly Sun. paper. I only got one and found that to give me enough coupons for just my husband and me.
    3. Don't have too large of a stockpile - only what's realistic for your family. We don't keep too much because lately, we've been moving once a year! Who wants to move 20 bottles of shampoo and 40 tubes of toothpaste every year? :)
    4. Follow several blogs online. There's no need to pay for a coupon matchup service, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been couponing for about 12 years now. I started when I was 16. Back then I had unlimited supplies to Sunday inserts! Now I buy 5 papers a week.

    1. Spend no more than $1 for your Sunday paper. Buy your papers at Sams, Dollar Tree, Deals, ect. Better yet ask you neighbors or friends for theirs.

    2. Clip the coupons you think you will use. I don't like to just clip match-up coupons. Many times stores will have an unadveritsed sale or clearance on a product, if you don't have the coupon you won't get the deal.

    3. I believe in having a large stockpile. What I wont use I will donate. I like having a large stockpile because you never know when there will be a sale or coupon for that product.

    4. If you get burnt out, take a break. I get burnt out sometimes. I just take a week or so off. (with my stockpile I could take months off!!) Then I am ready to jump right back in.

    5. Keep your system neat. Wether it is a binder or envelopes keep it organized. Sure mine is a mess sometimes, but I take 10 min every week to clean it up.

    Wow I could keep going for days! Happy Couponing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Do feel the need to jump on every deal every week. Its exhausting and you don't need that much stuff.

    *Start slow and ease your way into it. You will make some mistakes along the way but you will learn from them and move on.

    *Start with ONE drug store at a time. Try to master 3 at once and you will be confused.

    I agree with Tiffany...take a break now and then. A week off the hunt every now and then is restorative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started couponing with my mom way back when I was 10 or so. I got "serious" about it a couple years ago when I discovered there were couponing and rebating blogs on the internet and it opened a whole new world! It really helped to be able to see how others coupon, to be able to ask questions and see others put deals together. My tips:
    #1 - Start slow, even if you just use one coupon you can see how that one coupon saved you .50 or $1. Multiply that by other coupons you could use and you'll be amazed at how much you can save. Think about what you can do with every dollar you save, whether its splurging on somthing you wouldnt normally buy, or saving for something special. Treat yourself every one in a while!!
    #2 - Pick up some extra freebies to donate. It will make you feel good and you'll see that the time you put into it doesnt just benefit yourself.
    #3 - Breaks are a must! Somedays I think I'll go crazy if I ever see another coupon. But then a few days later it passes and I'm excited about coupons again!
    #4 - Find a blog specifically for your area. I was so excited to find this blog, to finally have St Louis stores featured and be able to talk to other local couponers. Thanks Jeri!
    #5 - Dont think you have to do every deal or keep track of all your savings or try to do as good as others. Just do it all at a pace that works for you and enjoy your success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started couponing while on maternity leave and REALLY got crazy into it in May.

    A friend who I have been trying to get into couponing (she has finally started, and I think is really starting to love it) taught me something yesterday.....(goes to show you some fresh eyes help)

    If you forget to write the date on your insert, look very closely at the binding edge it has the date written really small....you vets probably already new that, but I didn't and I can't believe she found that (it is really small font).

    So that is a tip from a very new couponer!

    ReplyDelete