Contact Me






Saturday, August 7, 2010

CVS $5 Scenario - Week of 8/8/10

I've heard from quite a few readers that they are very unhappy with Walgreens and their inconsistent coupon policies. Many readers are ready to give CVS a try, if they haven't already.

I'll put together scenarios each week to help the CVS newbie get started. The first thing a CVS newbie needs to do is retrain their brain - no coupon counts to contend with, no keeping track of which company issued the ECB and coupon friendly employees.

You will need an Extra Care Card, so stop at the register before you shop and sign up. It only takes a minute. You will also want to scan your card at the "Magic Coupon Machine", you never know when a $ off $$ coupon will print.

Take a look more CVS deals HERE.

Transaction #1
purchase:
(1) Schick Hydro 3 or 5 Blade Razor $8.97
use:
(1) Schick Hydro coupon (8/8/10 SS) -$5.00
= $3.97 + tax out of pocket and get a $4 ECB

Transaction #2
purchase:
(1) Dulcolax Balance $9.99
use:
Dulcolax Balance coupon (5/16/10 SS) -$4.00
ECB from 1st transaction -$4.00
= $1.99 + tax out of pocket and get a $9.99 ECB

Transaction #3
purchase:
(3) John Frieda Frizz Ease Shampoo and/or Conditioners @$5 each = $15.00
(1) Xtra 2x Laundry Detergent $1.99
use:
(3) $2 off John Frieda Frizz Ease printable coupons -$6.00
(1) Xtra Laundry Detergent coupon (6/6/10 SS) -$1.00
ECB from 2nd transaction -$9.99
= $0.00 out of pocket and get a $5 ECB

Items Purchased
(1) Schick Hydro Razor
(1) Dulcolax Balance
(3) John Frieda Shampoo and/or Conditioners
(1) Xtra Laundry Detergent

Total retail before sales & coupons: $45.44
Total out of pocket: $5.96 + tax for a 87% savings
And a $5 ECB to use within the next month

11 comments:

  1. Walgreens is about to get on my last nerve...Not sure why they even bother with RR if they are going to constantly complain about people who use them.
    I am having trouble at the Wags on Hartman Lane in Shiloh. They tell me I have to use q's in a certain order and sometimes I need to use the RR first...they say it has to be last????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl- The Wags in Shiloh is always a pain when it comes to using coupons/RR. I will not go there anymore. Drive an extra couple miles and go to the one in Ofallon. They are usually coupon friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl & Tiffany - I will never understand Walgreens. They mentions coupons more and more often in their ads, and then many stores are impossible to deal with with coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always hold on to my RRs until I see my after coupon total, then hand over whatever RR works best for my total. I rarely have trouble doing it that way. But if they insist on re-doing it so they can scan the RR first, at least I know what my total will be and I can subsitute another RR if I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad you're not in my area ... Carolina Beach. The lady who works at the cosmetic counter is wonderful and always helps me with my coupons. She's about the only one there that helps though .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl - Is it for sales tax purposes you want to use your RR first? Here in Missouri, since we don't pay sales tax on the value of the coupons it's best to use them last like CJ said to see what the final total is.

    Hi Juli - It is getting spottier all the time in the St Louis area of which Walgreens are coupon friendly and which ones aren't. I've found a store that is great to coupon at also. But not all of them are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to give my RRs last because I never know what my after-coupon total will be. If they deduct the RRs first, I may not be able to use all my coupons because they would make a negative total. I would rather use up my coupons and save my RR for another trip if it doesnt fit with my total.
    The cashier at the photo counter at the Rock Hill Wags last week was super helpful with my coupons. She suggested separate transactions (which I never have the nerve to do!) so I could use a $10 RR to pay for all of my 2nd transaction. It didnt quite work out but she was the most knowledgeable Wags employee I've ever dealt with and made my visit so enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeri, you are wonderful! I think this just might be the push I needed to get me to start CVS! Their ads make me dizzy, so this is extremely helpful. Looking forward to 'retraining' my brain:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up for an EC card a couple of months back, but didn't do any of the ECB deals until recently. It was super easy and so much less confusing than Wags. Only problem I had was not getting my ECBs on a raincheck, but he was able to generate them separately after the fact. I LOVE that you don't have to count coupons to make sure it matches up.

    I am so excited about the Dulcolax MM. Not only do I have the $4 Q from an insert, but I have some free bottled water wyb Dulcolax Qs left from Wags! Now, I just hope I can find it in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melissa - CVS's ads make me feel like I have ADHD. They are hard to read, but the store and the employees are nothing like the ads. The stores are so easy to shop at.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Staci - I think when you use a raincheck the cashier always has to enter additional info to make the ECB print.

    ReplyDelete