Contact Me






Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Winter Storm Food Safety


photo: armigeress via flickr
 Hopefully, no one will lose their power over the next few days because of the winter storm.  But what will you do with the food in the fridge and freezer if you do?

US Food Safety Bog has some great info available on the subject.
  • Keep an appliance thermometer in the fridge and freeze. 
  • Make Sure the freezer is a 0 degrees or below and the fridge is at 40 degrees or below.
  • Freeze refrigerator items such as leftovers, milk, and fresh meat and poultry that you my not need immediately in the freezer.
  • Group food together in the freezer - this keeps the food cold longer.
  • Plan ahead and know where dry ice and block ice can be purchased.
  • Plan ahead and make ice cubes and freeze gel packs.
  • Have coolers on hand to keep refrigerator food cold if the power will be out for more than 4 hours. 
We have enough coolers in the basement to take an entire Scout Troop camping for the weekend.  If we loose our power, I plan on loading them up and putting them on the back porch.  What are your plans?

9 comments:

  1. I thought about freezing the bacon in the fridge last night: but then though I can just put it in the snow in the back yard! Only benefit of a yard that will accumulate a ton of snow! Happy plowing everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a generator so I dont have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been cold enough in my garage that I have been able to put some foods in the garage on and off during the winter instead of in the fridge.

    All I can say is if my power goes off, the least I am worrying about is my food. It will be freeeeeeeeezing. I'm just worried about keepin warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's winter. You can put the food in coolers outside or pack in snow. Your trunk can also be a fabulous freezer if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a generator if the power goes off. We filled the gas can up and all 5 cars in case we need that to. Wood for the fireplace and all cell phones charged up. Hopefully we won't need any of it though. Stay warm and safe out there everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When and if I ever get home, I'll put whatevers still good out in the the snow if needed. Got enough snacks, cereal and canned goods to last a while. One day at a time, I just want me and the kitties to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have beer and milk on the patio keeping cold. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Evening to All,

    Hope everyone is still safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All - It looks like most of the area dodged a bullet with this storm, at least they aren't reporting too may power outages.

    If you're one of the few without power, I hope it didn't last too long.

    ReplyDelete