Contact Me






Sunday, May 31, 2009

What $5 Will Buy at Walgreens

Week of 5/31 /09

I've saved a ton of money at Walgreens by rolling Register Rewards, but there is also a ton of things to remember when rolling them. I've listed a possible scenario to help give you some ideas.

I use Ramen noodles as a filler - number of coupons used cannot exceed number of items purchased. Sometimes I find a clearance item for less money or treat myself with a candy bar.

Take a look at this week's Walgreens coupon match-up for details on where to find the coupons.

:: Starting with no Register Rewards ::

1st Transaction
Purchase Ecotrin $2
Use Ecotrin Coupon -$2
Out of pocket: Nothing!
Receive $2 GlaxoSmithKine Register Reward

2nd & 3rd Transaction
Repeat 1st transaction

4th Transaction
Purchase Kerasal $7.99
Purchase (3) Ramen noddles .87 (use as filler)
Use Kerasal coupon -$1
Use (3) $2 GlaxoSmithKline Register Rewards -$6

Out of pocket: $1.86
Receive $5 Alterna Register Reward

5th Transaction
Purchase Bic Soleil Razors $4.99
Purchase Dove Beauty Bar .99
Purchase Aquafresh $2.29
Purchase (2) Chinet plates $3
Purchae (3) Ramen noodles .87 (use as filler)

Use Bic Soleil coupon -$2
Use Dove coupon -.99
Use Aquafresh coupon -.75
Use Walgreens in-ad coupon for Aquafresh -1.30
Use (2) Chinet coupons -$2
Use Alterna Register Reward -$5

Out of pocket: .10
Receive $1 Bic Register Reward

6th Transaction
Purchase (3) Crystal Light $5.97
Purchase Ramen noddles .29
Use (3) Crystal Light coupon -$3
Use Bic Register Reward -$1
Out of Pocket: $2.26

Merchandise purchased:
3 Ecotrins
1 Kerasal
7 Ramen noddles
1 Bic Soleil razors
1 Dove Beauty Bar
1 Aquafresh
2 Chinet paper plates
3 Crystal Light
Total Retail price before sales & coupons $49.11
Total spent: $4.22 for a 91% savings

9 comments:

  1. Do you make multiple trips to different Walgreens or do you do all your transacations at once?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa - I have never done more than a couple transactions at one time. I usually go on Sunday morning and pick up any money-makers and do the rest of my shopping over the week.

    I have 12 Walgreens within 5 miles of my house. Three of them are within a mile each other. I stop which ever Walgreens is on the way to somewhere else I'm going.

    All of them are coupon friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats what I figured you did! I have 6 of them around me. I loved how you laid it out, I am going to have to dig through my coupons and do your scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that you can print a coupon off of the chinet website http://www.mychinet.com/promotions/online for the plates also. Thanks for all your hard work and organizing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info. The coupon on the website if for Classic White. I haven't looked yet at Walgreens at what they have on sale. Is the Classic White included?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Walgreens in Shiloh and Fairview heights would not allow the RR if I used the coupon for the ecotrin, I had to choose one or the other but not both. They said they set their computer system to recognize that it was a money maker and therefore, the manager wouldn't over-ride it. Haven't tried other stores, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl - I'm pretty sure managers you dealt with don't program their computer system and don't know what they are talking about.

    I have purchased Ecotrin at four different Walgreens in St Louis. I've used the $2 coupon each time and RR have always printed. The only thing the register is programed to do is not issure a Ecotrin RR if you use a RR from Ecotrin in the transaction.

    I would challenge the mananger to ring it up with the coupon and see what happens. Tell them a friend in St Louis always gets her RR when she uses coupons.

    Before you challenge the manager to a coupon/RR showdown. Take a quick look at the Catalina machine. The machine has a series of lights down the left side of the front face. The top one needs to be lit up green for the machine to work.

    Do you have other Walgreens close to you? I refuse to shop at a Walgreens that makes up the rules as they go.

    Can anyone in IL help Cheryl out with a coupon friendly Walgreens location?

    O.K. I'm done with my rant. Is anyone interested in a list of coupon friendly and unfriendly Walgreens in the St Louis area?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best Walgreens I have ever been to is in O'Fallon, IL. Not only are they coupon friendly, I have had them tell me to go ahead and get more than the coupon limits in one transaction when I told them I had gone to several stores for the deal (the 9 cent back to school specials) and I have also had checkers give me coupons for items I was purchasing! They dont "whine" when you want to do more than one transaction per visit either. LOVE them there!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer - Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be good Walgreens on the IL side of the river.

    ReplyDelete