I love the deals I can get at Target, but they aren't without a hitch, sometimes. Not all Target employees or managers are coupon friendly. I've called Target Guest Relations several times trying to clarify what the coupon policy is. Guest Relations has always been very helpful and they have always given me the same answers.
Target has now put their coupon policy on line. Check it out HERE.
From Target's web site:
"Target Stores Coupon Policy
Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it's easy to use them at our stores.
• Target accepts one manufacturer coupon and one Target coupon for the same item (unless prohibited)
• Super Target coupons can be used in any Target store if the store carries the item
• We gladly accept valid internet coupons
Because of the variety of coupons available to our guests, we do have some guidelines for how coupons can be redeemed at Target.
When accepting coupons, we use the following guidelines:
• We accept two kinds of coupons: Target-issued coupons and manufacturer-issued.
• We'll accept one Target coupon and one manufacturer coupon for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits it.
• Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
• We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
• We can't accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
• All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier while you're checking out. "
One problem I've had lately using coupons at Target is being told the coupon is good only for the product in the picture, and this issue is not addressed in their store coupon policy. I called and spoke with Guest Relations about this issue. Guest Relations told me the wording on the coupon is what the stores should follow. The wording will spell out what, if any, restrictions the coupon has. They also told me to call them from the store if I had any problems using coupons. (Only problem - they are only available Monday through Friday - 7 am to 6 pm.)
I would suggest you print a copy of Target's store coupon policy to have with you when you shop, and put the Guest Relations phone number (800-440-0680) in your cell phone. Hopefully this information will make everyone's Target coupon shopping a pleasant experience.