Contact Me






Friday, October 1, 2010

Saved 79% This Week

Finally, a week I stayed under budget. My slush splurge fund was dwindling - it was nice to add a  little money instead of dipping into it.
CVS
I went to CVS to see if they had Miracle Whip back in stock. I've had a rain check for them since around the first of September, and my coupons were about to expire.  I asked if they were expecting any in soon. The cashier asked for my coupons, stapled them to my rain check, and told me they would accept the expired coupons when the Miracle Whip came in.

And, as an added bonus, the "Magic Coupon Machine" spit out a coupon for a free box of Breathe Right Strips.  Wow, is all I can say about CVS.

Before sales & coupons: $5.99
Spent: $0.00
Saved: $5.99 for a 100% savings

Walgreens
The chicken broth was my filler so I could use my Register Rewards.  I figured it was better to get something  I could use, even though it was a little more out of pocket, than to buy a Halloween tumbler or gift sack.

Before sales & coupons: $24.23
Spent: $0.98 + $10 in Register Rewards
Saved: $23.25 for a 96% savings

Schnucks
I purchased a second roast that was put in the crock pot before I took my picture. The roasts were paid for with Catalina coupons I received for purchasing Old El Paso products a few weeks ago.

The Ore-Ida frozen potato Catalina was still going on.  Every time I purchased two, I got a coupon for a FREE bag.  I split the purchase up into two bags per transaction and kept rolling the Catalina.   And the Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls were also triggering a Catalina, so I rolled those, too. 

Before sales & coupons: $75.19
Spent: $11.93
Saved: $63.26 for a 84% savings

Shop 'n Save
We were getting a little low on cereal at our house.  A year ago, I didn't think I would ever say that again.  I got spoiled always paying less than $1 a box; it's getting harder to find cereal for that price these days.  Not impossible - just not as common.

Before sales & coupons: $14.72
Spent: $3.00
Saved: $11.72 for a 80% savings

Aldi
Comparable Schnucks price: $19.81
Spent: $12.43
Saved $7.38 for 37%

Dierbergs
I didn't take a picture of my one purchase - a 1/2 price package of hamburger buns. I was hoping to get back to Dierbergs sometime this week, but it didn't happen.  Maybe,  I'll get there over the weekend.

Before sale: $2.49
Spent: $1.25
Saved: $1.24 for a 50% savings

Weekly Totals
Before Sales and coupon: $142.43
Spent: $29.59
Saved: $112.84 for a 79% savings

Year to Date Totals
Spent: $1,604.18 ($40 weekly average)
Saved: $5,459.18  ($136 weekly average)
Splurge Funds: $31.70

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. I use it for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for.

7 comments:

  1. Jeri - Great coupon from the CVS machine! All I've gotten from it lately is 2 $25 gift card coupons for transfering prescriptions so I've taken advantage of those. I had to skip the Ore-Ida deal, no room in the freezer as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had known CVS would do that with the expired coupons. I just threw some away that expired on the 30th. ugh..... I got the 7 off 15 Revlon coupon. I can't wait for some great free fingernail polish for my daughters stockings. Plus got 4 off 20 on the internet. Should make for a great shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda - I've learned with CVS that almost anything goes, so it never hurts to ask there.

    CVS Summer Spending rewards are now availble. They will print out from the red coupon machine or on your receipt on your next visit, or you can print them from the CVS website. I got $1.50 this quarter from $83 spending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CJ - For a long while the coupons that prited from me were a waste of paper. I guess the free Breathe Right made up for all the duds. I'm not complaining though, it's always a thrill to scan my card to see what prints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynda - I don't know if CVS accepting expired coupons for rainchecks is a one time thing or if other stores will also accept them, but it never hurts to ask - especially at CVS.

    Good timing for you on the $7 off $15 Revlon and $4 off $20!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeri - The coupon machine is mostly a disappointment for me for the past 6 months. I just have to think of them as a bonus and be happy when I finally do get a good one. I've heard some people get a 2nd CVS card using a different email address and they get better coupons because the machine thinks they are a new customer. As with too many businesses, new customers sometimes get treated better than long time loyal ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last minute deal and I did look at this week SnS thread. This promo ends today.

    B3 (various) Kellogg's Creal and receive a cat for a gallon of milk. Pay an extra $.50 and get 3 more oz. of Rice Krispies.

    ReplyDelete