Contact Me






Saturday, May 14, 2011

Walgreens $5 Scenario - Week of 5/15/11


The most cost effective way to shop at Walgreens is to roll Register Rewards - spend Register Rewards on products that trigger more.  I suggest checking out at the Cosmetic Counter.  Multiple transaction always go smoother at a less busy register.

If you're following  my $5 Scenarios, you have a $5 P&G Register Reward to start this week's shopping.

Check out all of this week's Walgreens deals HERE.

Transaction #1
purchase:
(1) Dove Men+Care Deodorant $3.99
(2) Colgate ProClinical White Toothpaste $6.00
(1) Royal Gelatin $0.69 (needed as filler to use RR)
use:
(1) Dove printable coupon (no longer available) - $0.00 to $1.00 depending on coupons
(2) $1 or $0.75 Colgate Coupons (5/15/11 SS) - $1.50 to $2.00 depending on coupons
Walgreens in-ad coupon for Royal Gelatin - $0.49
P&G Register Reward from last week - $5.00
= $2.19 to $3.69 + tax and get a $3 Unilever and $4 Colgate-Palmolive RR

Transaction #2
purchase:
(3) Gillette Body Wash $10.00
(3) Gillette Deodorant @$4.99 = $14.97
(1) Royal Gelatin $0.69 (needed as filler)
use:
(3) $2 Gillette Body Wash coupon (5/15/11 RP) - $6.00
(3) Buy Gillette Body Wash get Deodorant free (5/01/11 P&G) -$14.97
Walgreens in-ad coupon for Royal Gelatin -$0.49
Colgate-Palmolive RR from previous transaction -$4.00
= $0.20 + tax out of pocket and get a $3 P&G Register Reward

Transaction #3
purchase:
(2) Softsoap Body Wash $6.00
use:
$3 Unilever Register Reward from 1st transaction -$3.00
$3 P&G Register Reward form 2nd transaction -$3.00
= $0.00 + tax (if you pay in your state) and get a $4 Colgate-Palmolive RR

Items Purchased
(3) Gillette Body Wash
(3) Gillette Deodorant
(2) Colgate ProClinical Toothpaste
(2) Softsoap Body Wash
(1) Dove Men+Care Deodorant
(2) Royal Gelatin

Total retail before sales & coupons: $53.77
Total out of pocket: $2.39 to $3.89 + tax a 93% to 95% savings
And a $4 Colgate-Palmolive RR to start next week’s shopping with.

If you didn’t start with the $5 Register Reward, you will spend $7.39 to $8.89 for this scenario – an 83% to  87% savings.

15 comments:

  1. on transaction #1 I have a question. you said the total would be $2.19 to $3.69 + tax and get a $3 Unilever and $4 Colgate-Palmolive RR... I understand everything except the "unilever". coupon lingo said sunday insert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unilever is the company name for that RR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle - Sorry to confuse you. Like Nicole said the RR is issued by Unilever. The confusing part is sometimes that company will also put out their own insert.

    I list what companies are issuing the RR because you need to be carefull and not spend them on other products from that compnay triggering RR. If you do chances are you wont get the next RR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your website is very informative and right on the money! I shared it with people in Walgreens today after the cashier was shocked at my receipts. Thank you for helping put money back into our pockets to offset gas prices. You are a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you use two coupons on the body wash on transaction #2?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All

    You're welcome Walgreens shoppper. You can save a ton of money at Wags if you go in with a plan.

    In transaction #2 purchase (3) Gillette body wash and use (3) $2 off coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this site on another blog last week. I followed your plan last week and then again this week. I saved so much money! I am new to couponing and shopping at Walgreen's and CVS. Your blog is a wonderful teaching tool! Thank you so much! As someone who has become disabled and unable to work, our family of 5 has gone from a two income family to a one income family. I am trying to cut expenses anywhere I can and you have been a source of great knowledge for me. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeri, today at wags I used 10 MQ but my total came out $1 extra then what it should have been I think she cancelled /voided one of my Q it was from newspapr & it did scanned with no beep & she manually enterd rest of the coupons(internet printed)...i guess she got confused by the no. of coupons or something as all of them were $1 MQ....please check this entry which I have in my receipt at the bottom :

    MFG COUPON 1 1.00 VMFGC

    does it mean void Q, another thing it does have 10 entries of other Q in the receipt.....do u think I can ask for adjustment on this next time i'm in store.

    thanks
    spice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeri, the VMFGC entry is for $1.00
    spice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie - Welcome to Coupon STL! I'm glad you found my $5 scneario helpful.

    Hi Spice - I don't know if I've seen VMFGC, but it probably means Void Manufacture Coupon. I would ask the manager about it the next time I was in the store.

    I alwasy plan my transactions and know what I should be paying. If it is different I try to figure out what happened before I pay. Most the time at Walgreens, it's becuase I've forgotten to hand over the in-ad coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jeri, I did knew the total is going to be 45 cents but the cashier wasn't very happy with my ten Q's first she called the manager & herself only told him that we can't refuse her right & they both agreed for the Q(was quite funny)....then when I handed her the Wag Q she got mad that why I didn't gave her that one first alongwith other Q's.....just when it was time to pay other cashier closed as he was feeling sick so I end up having 5 customers behind me so I did not wanted to make them wait....I guess next time I'm gonna avoid that cashier.....

    One more Q\question what happens if we hand them Wag Q first before MQ....can U please explain with the ref. of scotch tape offer this week....buy 1 @ 1.99 & get 2 free and I used 3 $1 MQ's for scotch tape.

    thanks
    spice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Spice - I see why you didn't fix it then and there. There are cashiers and/or stores I avoid if they aren't coupon friendly. I've found several stores with very coupon friendly cashiers at the cosmetic counter. They aren't as busy and lines don't usually form behind me there.

    I alays hand over the Wags coupons last. They always ring up for the full amount that way. If you hand them over Wags coupon first, you won't get overage, register can beep, it's just easier Wags coupon alway last.

    This week with the tape - If Wags coupon rung up first, the first Manf. coupon will ring trough the second won't. Chances are the cashier will refuse the coupon instead of reducing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeri, cashier at cosmetic counter was infact good but as I had already done one trans. I didn't wanted to go to her again....may be next time I should go back to cosmetic only.....thanks fo rall the help...
    spice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spice, My cosmetics/photo cashier will even ask me if I am planning to split into multiple transactions when I arrive. She knows that I split the orders to utilize the Register Rewards and reduce out of pocket expenses, not to be a jerk or try to clear the store of good deals. I think it helps alot to start somewhat small, get to know the cashiers, be friendly about it, move out of the way when lines form, etc. Starting out is rough, but once you establish yourself as a "regular" things go much more smoothly. Cosmetics and photo staff also seem to tend to work more regular shifts, so you will see the same person at the counter almost every Sunday morning, etc. Main register staff shift around the store and general schedule more often. Also I find cosmetics/photo employees are most often more experienced employees and don't feel the need to call in manager's over every little thing.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice pixie_bit! I agree with everything you said. How smoothly a couponing transaction goes at any store depends on the relationship you built with the cashiers.

    ReplyDelete