Contact Me






Monday, May 10, 2010

Aldi Price Check - Pineapple, Grape Tomatoes, Eggs + More

May 9, 2010

I've been very pleased with the quality of the produce at Aldi - especially for the price. The only thing I haven't been happy with is bananas. The ones I bought went from green to brown. I don't know if it was just the bunch I picked up or what. But, I haven't bought them again.

If you shop at Aldi, are you happy with the quality of the produce too? Do your bananas turn yellow?

The prices I've listed reflect the prices of the Aldi I shop at in St. Louis. Your Aldi's prices might vary.

:: Dairy,Produce and Bread Prices at Aldi this Week ::
I've highlighted new items in red. Best buys are bold.

Skim Milk, 1 gallon - $2.21
2% Milk, 1 gallon - $2.41
Whole Milk, 1 gallon - $2.58
1/2 & 1/2, 1 qt. - $1.99
Orange Juice, 1/2 gal. - $1.89

Large Eggs, dozen - .79
Block Cheese, 8 oz. - $1.79
Shredded Cheese, 12 oz. - $2.29
Sliced American Cheese, 12 oz. - $1.99
Cheese, Deli Slices, 8 oz. - $1.99
Fresh Mozzarella, 8 oz. - $2.49
Cream Cheese - .89
Sour Cream, 16 oz. - .89
Whipped Cream, aerosol can - $1.49
Butter, 1 lb. - $1.79
Margarine, sticks, 1lb. - .59
Yogurt, cup - .37

Wheat Sandwich Bread - .99
White Sandwich Bread - .79
Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns - .79

Apples, many different varieties - .35 each
Gala Apples, 3 lb. bag - $2.69
Red Delicious Apples, 3 lb. bag - $2.39
Granny Smith Apples, 3 lb. bag - $2.45
Jonathan Apples, 3 lb. bag - $2.39
Avocado - .89 each
Bananas - .39 lb.
Blueberries, 6 oz. - $2.99
Cantaloupes, xtra large - $1.49
Grapefruit - .49 each
Green Seedless Grapes, 2 lb. - $2.99
Red Seedless Grapes, 2 lb. - $2.99
Honeydew Melons - $2.25 each
Kiwi, 16 oz. - $1.99
Lemons - .39 each
Naval Oranges - .33 each
Naval Oranges, 4 lb bag - $2.79
Pineapple, fresh, whole - .99
Anjou Pears, 28 oz. - $1.59
Tangelos, 3 lb. bag - $2.69
Strawberries, 1 lb. - $1.99

Asparagus, 1 lb. - $2.49
Broccoli Crowns, 14 oz. - $1.39
Cabbage, head - $1.39 each
Baby Carrots, 1 lb. - $1.29
Carrots, 2 lb. bag - $1.29
Celery - $1.19
Sweet Corn, 4 ears - $2.29
Cucumbers - .49 each
Garden Salad, 12 oz. bag - .99
Lettuce, head - .99
Romaine Hearts, 3 ct. $2.49
Mushrooms, 8 oz. - $1.69
Onions,3 lb. - $2.89
Sweet Onions, 2 lb. - .99
Green Peppers , 4 ct. - $3.29
Multi-colored Peppers , 3 ct. - $3.29
Baking Potatoes, 5 lb. - $2.29
Red Potatoes, 5 lb. bag - $2.69
Russet Potatoes, 10 lb. - $2.99
Yukon Gold Potatoes, 5 lb. bag - $2.49
Fresh Spinach, 12 oz bag - $1.89
Grape Tomatoes, 10 oz. - .59
Tomatoes, 20 oz - $1.99
Roma Tomatoes, 20 oz, - $1.79
Vine Tomatoes, 24oz. - $2.89
Yams, 3 lb. bag - $2.29
Zucchini & Yellow Squash, 3 ct. - $2.29

If you haven't shopped at Aldi, or it has been a while:
1. Make sure you have a quarter to unlock a shopping cart. The carts are like luggage carts at the airport. You rent them for a quarter, and you get your quarter back when you return the cart.
2. Take your own bags. Aldi does not provide free bags for your groceries.
3. Aldis now accepts debit cards.
4. Aldis does not accept coupons

27 comments:

  1. The joke around the house is that there is always a race to eat all of the Aldi bananas before they go bad. Mine do go from green to yellow, but the trip to brown is a fast one, so we just make sure we each eat a banana per day.

    I had bad luck twice in a row with cucumbers, of all things. They looked fine, but both had a weird flavor, so they had to be trashed. I haven't bought an Aldi cuke since.

    I also had a bad run with oranges the last couple of times they had them. Bland and dry.

    I really want to like Aldi produce, but it seems to be hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only fresh produce I get at Aldi is strawberries. The bags of bananas, potatoes, onions, etc are just to big for me since I only buy for myself. So I buy those items singlely at other stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had bananas that turned brown quickly too. I once bought strawberries that were moldy the morning after I purchased them. My experience has been hit or miss with produce. I gave the strawberries a second chance and had no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for weighing in on Aldi's produce. I'm glad it's just not me and the bananas. But, they would be great for someone who makes banana bread.

    Aldi does have a Double gurantee. "Quality, taste and satisfaction are always DOUBLE* guaranteed at ALDI. If for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with any product, we will gladly replace the product AND refund your money.

    *The Double Guarantee does not apply to non-food Special Buy items and alcohol"

    I took a ham back once that went bad before its use by date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of Aldi produce. We always seem to race through our bananas to make sure they get eaten before turning brown. Grapes are okay, but I always have a hard time finding a good bunch. Other stuff is hit and miss. We did have some great Sunkist oranges one time. We can obviously live with eating Aldi produce, but I like to get it elsewhere if I can find a little extra room in our budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just a reminder, walmart matches aldi's prices...sometimes better produce : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found Aldi's produce to be as good or better than Shop N Save or Schnucks. The bananas haven't turned brown any faster than other bananas for us, and the starwberries and oranges (single oranges) I've bought have been MUCH better than other more expensive grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the last comment. My experience is that Aldi's has BETTER produce than Schnucks or Walmart. I have thrown away more moldy grapes from Schnucks than anywhere else and the Dierbergs special buy produce turns VERY quickly, and then I know why it was such a good deal. Now, I have to admit, the bananas are hit and miss. I've learned to identify the ones that had been stored at too cold of temperatures and not to buy on those days. Anyway, we have to take breaks from eating bananas. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I opt for the Save-a-Lot bananas, which usually sell 3 lb. for a buck. Longer than the ones at Aldi and rarely one will find a green bunch. Overall, I feel that SFM has the best produce for your dollar. Pushing volume and paying market rate will get a business top quality produce. Otherwise, doing an annual contract with a major supplier will result in crap that you must sell or serve your customers.

    Whenever the bag of salad mix goes on sale at Aldi, I buy one and too often the lettuce is brown in a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My experience has been positive- or at least as good as other local suppliers. The last batch of strawberries was SO good- best of season, but batch before that- ugh. Apples have been consistently fine, grapes ok- but today I hit the jackpot when Avocados were .05. Is there any way to store or preserve these? I bought ten and they are still pretty stiff- I'm sure they'll ripen together. Tips welcome- if I can find a way to store them I'm going back tomorrow for more. Its the LSL location- the prices there are often times a bit higher than Jeri's list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. .05 avocados!!! Holy mackerel! I was excited to buy them for $.25. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear that you can mash them and freeze in ice cube trays. They can be stored for up to three months this way. I was planning to do that with all of the ones that I bought recently, but now that the kids have decided that they like them, they aren't lasting around here!

    Bananas have definitely been hit or miss for me as well. I will not buy them unless they are yellow with only a little green near the top, otherwise, problems are fairly certain. I have also had more than one bad experience with bad onions at Aldi. Most other things have been okay, but I have found that I have to inspect the packages of things like tomatoes, strawberries and grapes VERY carefully. I have spotted moldy produce on numerous occasions.

    ~Staci

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to be very picky about the quality of produce. I never buy pre-bagged produce, so their potatoes, onions, apples, oranges are out of the question for me. I'd also never consider their bananas.. they are always so GREEN and beaten up. I have bought strawberries in the past, but I agree with the others, they go moldy real quick. Red grapes and Kiwis seem to be alright though. And I like their baby carrots.. almost the size of the more expensive 'petite' baby ones at other stores. For the most part, I just buy milk, eggs, yogurt and the occasional special item there. I definitely think their produce tends to be older... And I skip their meat section too.. tends to be lower quality. Still worth it for the essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To branch off a bit, I was very pleasantly surprised when I started seeing signs that their milk was rgbh free. I've rarely seen this except when the milk is organic, I wonder if they are going to try to carry some organic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with Aldi produce.

    I have been please with what I buy (except bananas), but I only buy what is that the bottom dollar price and try to use it within the week. I think their grapefruit (during the height of the season) is the best I've ever bought.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use StillTasty.com when I don't know how to freeze produce. Here is what they say to do with avocados.

    1. Peel & puree
    2. Add to pruee 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice for every avocado used to prevent browning
    3. Place in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.

    Keep in freezer 3-6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got some $0.05 avocados at the LSL Aldi too. They also had 8 oz. packages of ham or turkey lunchmeat for $0.49 each!!! They have expiration dates of 5-15-2010 but I'm freezing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gloria - Great price on lunchmeat. I've never frozen lunchmeat before. Does it change the texture at all?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't either but I guess I'll find out! :) I've frozen ham steaks before and the texture changes a little but not unpalatable. If it isn't suitable for sandwiches, I can chop it up and put it in split pea soup.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tips on freezing the avocados. I'm going to give it a try. I know we can't eat them all. -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always buy Aldi produce. I do check out my bananas very carefully to make sure it doesn't look like they've been bumped while green only to turn bruised when they ripen. About 2 months ago I took back a bag of dry oranges and got the double guarantee (another bag and money back). Ever since then the oranges have continued to be excellent even though it isn't really the season anymore. If I need "pretty" red potatoes I go to a produce outlet instead of Aldi - but normally I'm not that picky. I'm careful with the onions I choose, but they are always much cheaper then other stores. If they are a great sale I buy lots and cut them up and saute them and freeze them so I can use them later. Overall - I love their produce and the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Katy for sharing your experience with the double guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This might be a "dumb" question but where is LSL Aldi? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi coupon.girl - I'm assuming Lake St Louis. I hope LSL readers will chime in on what it stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I spotted a $19.99 ice cream/dessert making machine at Aldi last night. While it has a 2 year warranty, I wonder what's involve in repairs. Hate to have to mail the machine off and perhaps you get back someone else 'winner'.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I guess, that's it. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've have frozen lunch meat, it usually turns out okay. Protect it with freezer bags, plastic containers and/or tinfoil, give it enough time to fully defrost and pat it dry before using.

    ReplyDelete