Contact Me






Friday, August 6, 2010

5 Tips for the New Couponer



1. "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." Isn't true with couponing - All of our parents gave us that advice, but with couponing, many times you can walk out of a store with free merchandise, or sometimes even get paid to buy it. I'm not talking about unethically using coupons, but the deals can be so good, you can bring home bags of items for very little money.

2. Buy what you can get for a good price, use what you have - Retailers do a great job of mixing up the sales. You can stock up on a year's worth of salad dressing and BBQ sauce in the spring, frozen veggies in the fall, peanut butter at back to school time and on down a list of seasonal items. The drugstores offer great deals weekly. After a short time of couponing, you can have a stockpile of items, but remember you need to use what you buy.

3. Try different brands - Give up brand loyalty and you can save a ton of money. I'll gladly use Garnier Fructis or John Frieda shampoo for less money than I paid for Suave. Many of the "new" brands to our family have become family favorites. And, the ones we didn't like, I didn't pay much money for.

4. Shop at different stores than you usually shop at - Before couponing, I would have told someone they were crazy if they told me they paid less at Walgreens for personal items than they did at Target. But it's true. Take advantage of Walgreens Register Reward offers and bring personal items home for free. Change your habits and you can save a ton of money.

5. Don't drive yourself and your family crazy - The deals just keep coming. No one can take advantage of them all, and if you try you will burn yourself out. Coupon as much as what works for you and your family. Take a break when necessary. There will be great deals next week, and the following week, and the....

Some of the best deals I took advantage of this past year were: Free items almost every week at CVS or Walgreens, money-making Ziplock deal at Schnucks and the money-making Kraft Dressing deal at Dierbergs.

Seasoned couponers, what deals were your favorite this past year?

Also check out 5 Tips for the Wannabe Couponer.

1 comment:

  1. I can not say that I am a seasoned couponer but I have gotten on some great deals. I loved when the coupon for $3 off Snuggle fabric softener was available (Schnucks) and the $2.50 off Finish dishwasher detergent (Walgreen's). I still have a good stock pile.
    Jeri, I can't say it enough. Thanks for all you do to help save me money!!

    ReplyDelete