Contact Me






Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Shopping Plans

Many readers have asked how I stay withing my budget each week and save so much. I've started to post my weekly shopping plans, so everyone can see my thought process for shopping and saving.

Life is crazy right now. I would imagine everyone's May is way too busy also. In years past, I would be in panic mode because there wouldn't be anything in the house to eat and I wouldn't have time to get to the store. Not only were Mays busy, but expensive - grabbing fast food and ordering pizzas. Now, if I don't get to the store - no big deal. There are plenty of options at home. I'll just shop from my stockpile.

Here is what I plan to shop for this week:

Aldi: I always head to Aldi on Sunday - good thing I did. The week got crazy busy. I picked up milk, creamer, bread, some produce, and a ham. My Aldi had their hams reduced by $3. I packaged it up in meal sized portions and put them in the freezer. We will continue to need quick meals the rest of the month and ham is perfect. Spent: $20.00

I also try to get to at least one of the drugstores on Sunday too. This week both.

CVS: Woo Hoo! I got a $5 off $40 coupon from the coupon machine, the first time since CVS has opened in Missouri I've gotten a $/$$ coupon. Time to pull out the rain checks to get my total to $40 (before coupons). I spent more money out of pocket than I like to, but went from $6.50 to $26.00 in ECBs. Spent: $8.50
  • Depends - No, I'm not old enough to need they yet, even though my kids think I'm ancient. I have a friend who is a social worker that works with the elderly. I'm sure she she can find a good home for them.
  • Nivea Body Wash & Lip Care
  • Colgate
  • Throat Coolers - I've been saving this rain check for over a year - the perfect time to use it.

Walgreens: I'm still Register Reward free. Spent: $1.00

  • Oscar Mayer Lunchmeat - I ran to Walgreens on Saturday for this great deal. (Thanks, Rhonda!)
  • Sure - Couldn't pass up a freebie without Register Rewards

Schnucks: Besides needing buns, I don't need any of these items. I might have my husband stop at Culinaria pick up buns on the way home from work and skip the rest of the trip. We'll see. Projected to spend: Hopefully less than $20.00

  • Buns
  • Texas Toast Croutons
  • Durkee Spices
  • Baby Back Ribs - I'll never find ribs for my $2 buy price on meat. So I'll splurge.

Dierbergs: I debated the Free Breakfast Deal. My college aged son isn't coming home this summer and needs a few things to cook with. But, I think I'll go dig through the basement and look for the things I removed from the kitchen to make room for extra groceries. I also debated the Driscoll's Strawberries and Free Water Deal, but don't know what else I'd buy to get to $25. I don't think I have enough coupons for free items for that.

Shop 'n Save: I'm sure there are some great deals with a $10 off $50 Thursday and three Catalinas. But, I don't have time to think about them.

Is your May crazy busy too? How are you finding time to shop and what are you shopping for?

3 comments:

  1. August-May are busy months for me. I work 50+ hours a week. I work at a school so atleast I have summers to relax! I also have an 8 year old son. Some how I still find time to coupon shop.

    I just couldn't bring my self to buy the Depends. I think this is the only MM I have skipped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffany - That is a busy schedule.

    Besides being a money-maker, I knew my friend would greatly appreciate the Depends to give to one of her clients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May isnt any more busy for me than any other month. There havent been many good deals in the past couple weeks so I've actually spent less time shopping than usual.

    ReplyDelete