Contact Me






Friday, May 7, 2010

Saved 71% This Week

I'm over budget this week by exactly a jar of Nutella. So much for self-discipline. Good thing I have a slush splurge fund.

Walgreens
I ran out to Walgreens on Saturday before the sale was over to pick up Oscar Mayer Lunchmeat for .50 a package after coupon. And, I couldn't pass up free deodorant, especially since I didn't have to deal with Register Rewards.

Before sales & coupons: $17.85
Spent: $1.00
Saved: 16.85 for 94%

CVS
I put together a CVS shopping plan where I wouldn't have to spend any money out of pocket, but had to scrap that plan when I got a $5 off $40 coupon from the "magic coupon machine." I pulled out my rain checks to see what I had to get me to $40. I have had the Throat Cooler rain check for over a year. Time to use it. Even though I spent money out of pocket, I'm pleased with the amount of ECB's I now have. Started with $6.50, now have $26.

Before sales & coupons: $48.71
Spent: $8.59
Saved: $40.12 for 82%

Schnucks
My husband doesn't think he can eat a salad if it doesn't have croutons on it. If I can buy them for 50 cents, I stock up. It was fun to find a Nutella coupon. I don't make many spur of the moment purchases, but I did for Nutella.

Before sales & coupons: $40.99
Spent: $11.67
Saved: $29.32 for 72%

Target
My Target was out of the Scrubbing Bubbles products I stopped for, but I always check the far reaches of the food department where they put the clearance items. This is the first time I've ever found anything worth buying: Bush's Baked Beans for 63 cents. I have no idea why they were on clearance. They have a 2013 use by date and Target had plenty of Bush's on the shelf. I'm not complaining. My family's favorite beans are Bush's.

Before sales: $5.82
Spent: $1.89
Saved: $3.93 for 68%

Aldi
This was my week for shopping clearance, which I almost never do. The spiral hams at my Aldi were marked down an additional $3. I packaged it up into serving size packages and froze it. I know we will need some quick meals and ham is perfect.

Comparable Schnucks price: $32.23
Spent: $19.76
Saved: $12.47 for 39%

My Splurge
Baby back ribs and Schnucks bakery buns. At least the ribs were on sale for $2.99 a pound.

Before sales: $20.09
Total spent: $11.25
Saved: $8.84

Weekly Totals
Before sales & coupons: $145.60
Spent: $42.91
Saved: $102.69 for 71%

Year To Date Totals
Spent: $772.00
($43 weekly average)
Saved: $2429.59 ($135 weekly average)

Splurge Funds: $119.40

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. I use it for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for.

7 comments:

  1. Jeri - Are the regular Texas Toast coupons from the inserts good for croutons? I've never looked at them closely because I thought they were just for the frozen toast. I love croutons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Nutella is TOTALLY worth it for a splurge!!! I actually tried Kroger's version and it is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CJ - There are two .50 Texas toast coupons in the 3/21 SS. One for croutons and the other tortilla strips. These coupons are different than the ones for the frozen bread. I've bought Texas Toast croutons often. The crouton lover in our house has no complaints, but doens't particularly like the tortilla strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sweetea Savings - Thanks for stopping by. I've never though to look for store brand Nutella. We don't have Kroger in town, but maybe our stores have a cheaper version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your splurge idea! i might try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the Texas Toast croutons coupons in my old inserts but then totally forgot to take them when I went to SNS today :( Hope they are still on sale later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Casie - I found myself never wanting to buy something I couldn't get on sale or use a coupon on. (There are things that will always fall into that category.) Since I've put a little slurge fund in my budget, I don't feel like I can't buy them.

    ReplyDelete