Contact Me






Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Produce Prices on the Rise

Last Sunday at Aldi, I was shocked by how expensive some of the produce was.  My first thought was - what's up with Aldi?  But, now I understand. 

Today's Wall Street Journal has an article about Freeze Hits Vegetables. Earlier this month, while we were dealing with the horrible winter weather in the Midwest, Mexico was hit with a major freeze.  Tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and other produce could be in short supply and of course that mean higher prices at the grocery store.

I can live without tomatoes this time of year.  I do every year - I've never liked fresh tomatoes, unless they were homegrown.  But, It won't be fun paying the higher prices for other produce.

There are a few strategies you can use to keep from being a slave to higher vegetable prices.
  • Rework the menu plan - If tacos or fajitas are a weekly favorite in your house, replace them with enchiladas or burritos. 
  • Purchase frozen veggies - Frozen veggies are close if not the same in  nutrients as fresh. Hopefully, their  prices won't increase, since they were packed long before the freeze.
  • Use out of the stockpile - Menu plan out of the pantry and freezer.  This will leave more of your weekly grocery budget to spend on fresh veggies.
    The good news - Spring is on it's way.  Hopefully the increase in vegetable prices will be short lived.

    What strategies will you use to keep from blowing the budget?

    5 comments:

    1. I noticed it last week at Walmart. I needed a lime and they were .50 a piece and about the size of a key lime. I thought what the heck?!

      Not only is food going up but clothing prices. :(

      ReplyDelete
    2. I increase the food budget and decrease innecessary spending.Eating healthy is priority.Thats why my food budget is pretty high because I dont substitute healthy food with unhealthy ones just because it can come out cheap or free.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I heard yesterday that be ready to pay higher prices for anything made of cotton. They also said Orange Juice is going to be a luxury.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I garden,and tomatoes, cukes, and peppers are a must. I can't wait until spring! For now I will just have to pay for produce.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi All - We probably have been very lucky with low food prices the last few years. From what I've heard it sounds like everything will be increasing in price.

      Thanks goodness I've figured out how much I can save with coupons.

      ReplyDelete