Contact Me






Sunday, October 30, 2011

What's for Dinner? Meatloaf


Tonight's dinner recipe comes from a church cookbook I've had for a long time and obviously used often.  (I'm embarrassed how bad it looks)  My first apartment roommate's mother gave this to me.  She didn't attend the Pioneer United Methodist Church, but all of her friend must have and she felt obligated to purchase a cookbook  from everyone of them.  She had a stockpile of cookbooks in her basement just waiting to give to first time cooks.

When I first started cooking, I used the book often.  If I wanted to find a basic dinner, or Jello Salad recipe this was my go to book.  There are only a few recipes I still use from this cook book, and meatloaf is one of them.

Church Cook Book Meatloaf

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 cup cracker crumbs (saltines)
1/3 diced onion
2 T. milk
2 T. ketchup

Topping:
6 T. brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. dry mustard

Bake at 325 for 1 hour

I never like meatloaf as a kid, but then again, my mom didn't put the almost like candy topping on her meatloaf.

What's for dinner at your house tonight? 
Having problems posting  a comment?  See my Leave a Comment post with a quick fix to the problem.

6 comments:

  1. Ironically, leftover Cheese Stuffed Italian Meatloaf of my own creation. Had some odds and ends of diced tomato and pasta sauce in the fridge - so played around. It turned out wonderful. Also, parmesan garlic mashed potatos and toasted ciabatta rolls.

    Cooked beef stock and dog food (scrambled eggs, chicken breast and white rice). Baking in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have invented cheeseburger meatloaf and pizza meatloaf here at our house. And, like you, I didn't like meatloaf growing up, but I like my inventions!

    We are having "Grandma's Taco Soup" for dinner tonight - it's rainy and gross in Wisconsin. I need to get the taco soup recipe posted on my blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeri - I just put this in the oven. Thanks for the recipe and a dinner idea.
    I'm excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jeri.........That meatloaf recipe is a keeper! My entire family loved it! I doubled it so we are having again on Tuesday night.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted last week about church cookbooks! I love them! :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All - Thanks for participating.

    Rhonda - What a foodie - even making your own dog food. I'm impressed.

    Emily - I know why I didn't like my mom's meatloaf. She would put in the oven and cook it until every ounce of moisture was gone.

    Megan - So glad you liked the meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete