Contact Me






Sunday, May 17, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - Week 5/17

This week, I'm going to put a roast in the Crockpot and then shred it for BBQ beef sandwiches. I cooked chicken this way a few weeks ago and it was wonderful.

Can anyone help me out? Do I put water in with the roast or another liquid, and how much? Should I add any seasonings? I know I could search one of the recipe sites, but thought my readers would have the answer.

Monday: Chicken Caesar Salads (Fresh Express Kit & Perdue Frozen Chicken)

Tuesday: BBQ beef sandwiches, chips, fruit

Wednesday: BBQ Chicken Pizza, salad (California Kitchen Pizza)

Thursday: Tacos, refried beans (from last weeks menu)

Friday: Spaghetti, salad, garlic bread (Ragu)

Saturday: Biscuits & Sausage Gravy

Sunday: Grilled hamburgers, fries, green salad

If you would like more meal planning ideas, visit Menu Plan Monday at orgjunkie.com

11 comments:

  1. I've cooked a roast a lot and you don't need to add any liquid. The roast as it heats will release it's own liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I knew a reader would come through with my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have cooked a roast and added 1 can of beer and 1 packet of onion soup mix, it makes the roast really juicy and gives it a little flavor. I usually cook it on a rack in the crock pot but if you don't have a rack you can make some small balls of foil which would replace the rack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thejennypinche,

    Oh, my husband would love that recipe! That's a great idea using foil when you don't have a rack. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to the bottom to keep it tender. Last week I made a pork roast with 3/4 cup water on bottom placed the roast on top salt and peppered it and added one pkg of onion soup mix sprinkled on top. cooked it 6 hours. The meat fell of the bone and was very tender. I had 2cps of juice at the bottom to make gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the help. I was just about ready to put the Crockpot away for the summer, but I have so many good ideas I'll have to leave it out and try them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mix 1 cup ketchup and a can of coke mixed together and pour over my beef roast when I make the pulled beef. You can cook it all day on low, and then drain the liquid off, put a bbq sauce of your choice on it and warm it all up again (maybe 30 mins). Its soooo yummy, the coke breaks down all the connective tissues and it shreds so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, shred the beef after you drain off the liquid and before you put the bbq sauce on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fixed the roast last night and it was to die for. Thanks everyone for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeri,

    Which method/recipe did you end up using?

    ~Staci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci - I just put the roast in the Crockpot with a rack made of crumbled up foil, some water and salt. I kept it really easy and it was great.

    I'm going to try some of the other ideas another time. They all sound great.

    ReplyDelete