Contact Me






Friday, January 22, 2010

Saved 75% this Week

I'm beginning to think I should have joined the Eat From The Pantry Challenge. The good buys at the grocery stores have been few and far between this month. At least Walgreens had a few things to stock up on.

Walgreens
Before sales, coupon and rolling Register Rewards: $39.95
Total spent: $2.89
Total saved: $37.06 for 93%

CVS
I was so excited to have CVS open in St Louis, but there wasn't much to buy. I'm hoping the sales get better. The CVS products were a free gift on opening day.

Before sales, coupons and rolling ECB's: $15.72
Total spent: $3.99
Total saved: $11.73 for 75%

Schnucks
There is no baby in our house, but I couldn't pass up the free baby food. I'm sure I can find a food pantry to take the donation. And, I was my teen's hero for bringing home Cocoa Puffs (husband's hero, too).

Before sales & coupons: $30.64
Total spent: $7.72
Total saved: $22.92 for 75%

Dierbergs
I really like Bounty paper towel, but for 25 cents a roll, I couldn't pass up more Marcal. I'm going to distribute it to the basement, garage and all the places my "good" paper towel disappears to, and see if I can keep the Bounty in the kitchen.

Before sales & coupons: $21.64
Total spent: $5.99
Total saved: $15.65 for 72%

Aldi
I shop at Aldi every Sunday primarily to pick up milk and any produce they have at a great price. I let the produce guide me in planning the next week's menu.

Comparable Schnucks price: $16.58
Total spent: $6.62
Total saved: $9.96 for 60%

Sappington Farmers' Market
I've never bought meat at Sappington Farmers' Market before. They have either really expensive organic meat or really cheap meat. The chicken breasts were the cheap meat at $1 a pound. Hopefully, chicken breasts are chicken breasts.

Comparable Schnucks price: $19.45
Total spent: $8.67
Total saved: $10.78 for 55 %

Weekly Totals
Before sales & coupons: $143.98
Total spent: $35.88
Total saved: $108.10 for 75%

Year to Date Totals
Spent: $106.51 ($35 weekly average)
Saved: $374.13 ($125 weekly average)

Splurge Funds: $43.49

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. They are for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Jeri--Noticed you purchased Fleischmanns pizza yeast. Are you going to submit for the $5.00 GC for Schnucks? I saw it in our ad yesterday and bought 3 pks to see if I receive the GC. HTH Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week is so blah, I didn't go to the grocery store. Just Walgreens for 4 peanuts 4 Wheat Thins, free chocolate, 3 soft scrubs (one marked down to 1.19) and a meter that didn't pay me a RR, but was free for my Grams. Paid .13 cents on a gift card given to me by an aunt that loves my shopping adventures. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly! Are you talking about the Bayer meter? I thought it's a monthly deal. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ms. Jeri! Though Romaine veggies is cheap at Sappington Market, sorry to say that my hubby would not want to go back there anymore. It's because where they place the unwrapped veggies, it has lots of rust. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet - Maybe I'm going to take advantage of the giftcard deal. My store had no information on the deal.

    I stopped at Cutomer Service to ask if I had to buy one of each of the products or if I could buy 3 of one product. They told me I could buy 3. Then I asked how do I get the giftcard? They thought a Catalina coupon would print to mail in for the giftcard (you could tell they were only guessing).

    I bought 3 yeast - no Catlaina. Back to Customer Serivce. They scurried around for awhile, called someone on the phone, called the manager on duty to Customer Serive. Finally, the manager took my name, number and address.

    I feel bad for the store employees when they no information on advertised deals. They were working hard to try to figure it out.

    Do you have any info on this deal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly

    It's great to have a stockpile, so you don't have to shop on a blah week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi coupon.girl

    Sappington Market has been there for a long time. It's old and dated. But, I feel like it is clean - at least as clean or cleaner than the SNS I go to. I've never noticed lots of rust. Now, I'm sure I'll notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The two Dierbergs that I go to don't have the Marcel paper. One is in South County and one is in Chesterfield. I wonder where I need to go to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man cannot live on Planters Peanuts alone. That was my main deal this week and I also did not go to the grocery store this week. Still have lots of cheap spinach from last week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi--Jeri, I found a tearpad by a new Fleischmann display-small @3x5 red lettering-I believe it went to Emmis Promo. etc. St. Louis, MO. I will check and grab a couple extra tomorrow--I think it had to be sent by 1/29/10. I filled mine out yesterday to send. I will let you know when I know more =).

    PS--For those who are buying the Planters this week at Wags--Do not forget about the Nabisco rebate: buy 10 get $10.00 =)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Warson Woods Dierbergs has most Marcal products. The Kirkwood Shop N Save just started carrying the large packages of toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alice - I've found Marcal Paper Towel at the McKenzie Point store (Warson & McKenzie).

    Lynda - My husband could live on Planters peanuts alone. :)

    Janet - Thanks for the additionl info. I can't wait to go back to my Schnucks and tell them what they should be looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering about that $5 mail-in rebate too. My main question was three of one item or also a pizza sauce and the pre-cooked bacon. IMHO, that OM product is not the same as going through the hassle of cooking fresh OM bacon.

    Fresh from the field Romaine lettuce will still have the bugs and the dirt it was grown in. Just fill the sink with cold water, break up the head and give the head a bath.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi kas,

    I was reading what coupon.girl said as the place needed a good scubbing, not the vegetables. But maybe I read it wrong.

    I find that the vegetables that don't look perfect actually taste better. Vegetables have been engineered to have a longer shelf life or look prettier that they have lost their taste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeri, the chain markets have a water system that automatically spray the produce, even in the 24 hour stores. Anyway, I'm more concern on prices and won't be buying organic produce at SFM. I've purchased iceberg at SFM once or twice and came away with the impression that their buyer(s) aren't choosing the better quality. A couple weeks ago, I did notice someone had stacked wrapped trays of limes under a sign that said lemons.

    While consumers probably purchase pre-prepped package produce for time saving and conveince, the food service industry pay the extra cost to control workman comp cost. IMHO, too many morons who have little common sense around slicers and work at one speed, that of a snail.

    I'm still waiting on the pears from Aldi to turn soft.

    ReplyDelete