Contact Me






Friday, February 19, 2010

Saved 82% This Week

Every week, I shop at 4 or 5 different stores. I don't think I spend significantly more time shopping than I did before my frugal ways, but I know I spend significantly less money.

Before I knew you didn't have to spend money on toothpaste, I would put a few items that we needed on a list, and maybe a few ideas for dinner. I spent a lot of time at the store wandering around without a plan. I also spent a lot of time running back at to the store at 5 p.m.to pick up a few additional items to make dinner with.

Now, I go in with a list, hit only the parts of the store I need to, check out the places where I might find coupons or rebates, don't make impulse buys, and I'm out of there. I can easily stop at two stores in the time I used to spend in one. And, no more 5 p.m. trips.



CVS
I was hoping for a $5 off $15 coupon from the coupon machine that so many readers have reported getting, but no such luck for me. I won't complain about what I spent; I started with $11.98 in ECBs and ended with $15. CVS is so fun to shop at.

Before sales & coupons: $53.86
Total spent: $5.17
Total saved: $48.69 for 90%

Shop 'n Save

I had a great week at Shop 'n Save even though I spent more money than I needed to. Between the $10 off $50 Thursday, the $5 coupon from the Entertainment Book, and Catalina coupons from last week, I had $29 off my total before I started shopping. I had a few items on my list and wanted to pick up some other things that I needed. Somehow, I went $4 over $50. I'm usually good at keeping my total right at $50 to maximize my savings. Oh well, it is not like I didn't need what I bought.

Before sales & coupons: $87.63
Total spent: $10.26
Total saved: $77.37 for 88%

Schnucks
This is actually last week's sale items. I didn't get to Schnucks until the weekend. And I learned something new. The oyster crackers rang up wrong, so when I went to Customer Service to get a refund for the overcharge, they gave me one package for free. If something rings up incorrectly, the first item is free and they will adjust the price for any additional items.

Before sales & coupons: $36.45
Total spent: $7.62
Total saved: $28.83 for 79%

Dierbergs
I didn't save a great amount at Dierbergs, but if I can get Dierbergs meat at half price, I'm happy.

Before sales & coupons: $33.44
Total spent: $15.21
Total saved: $18.23 for 55%

Aldi
Comparable Schnucks price; $19.96
Total spent: $9.26
Total saved: $10.70 for 54%

My Splurge
$5.28 for sourdough bread from Deirbergs and buns from Schnucks. I really should learn to make bread.

Weekly Totals
Before sales & coupons: $231.24
Total spent: $47.52 - $6 in rebates I receive this week = $41.52
Total saved: $189.82 for 82%

Year to Date Totals
Spent: $291.32
($42 weekly average)
Saved: $995.42 ($142 weekly average

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. They are for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for.

16 comments:

  1. Jeri,

    Now you know why I ALWAYS check my receipt before I leave Schnucks! I've only gotten a couple of items free, but every little bit helps.

    ~Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious but how did you do the CVS deal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jeri, check this link for free coffee sample...I just filled it I hope i'll get it in 4-6 weeks
    http://smartchoice.tasterschoice.com/?utm_source=Goog&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=InstantCoffeeGroup&utm_campaign=Rain_2.5#/Try_It_On_Us/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeri,
    I'll teach you to make bread if you do my shopping for me. LOL! Great job this week. How did you get half price meat at Dierbergs, btw? Also, I don't remember you stating what you will use your splurge funds for. My 4 daughters are all small still so there is no splurge fund as of yet, just making ends meet, but I will do that someday. And mine will most definitely go towards VACATION! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing: What about a bread machine? I got one from my mom, who didn't use it, and have trained my 10 yo to make bread. We don't do it everyday..just on those meals when I need something to round out dinner and hot, fresh bread works so well!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous - Here is my CVS deal.

    My CVS Deal

    Transaction #1
    puchased Powerbars Chews $1.50
    use $1 ECB from Bag Tag
    paid .50

    Transaction #2
    (4) 12-packs Diet Coke $10 use (2) $1 off 2
    Aussie Shampoos $2.99 used $1 coupon
    (2) Crest Pro Health Rinse $7 use (2) $2 coupons
    (2) Oust used $7.98 use B1G1 coupon
    (4) Sobe $3.18 use (2) B1G1
    used $1.50 ECB from powerbars
    used $10.98 ECB from Dove for Men I got a few weeks ago
    paid: $4.67

    ECB's received $2 Aussie, $7 Crest & $6 Oust

    $53.86 comes from the CVS receipt of what the merchandise would have cost at full price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Spice for the reminder. I wrote about the Taster's Choice free sample back in October.

    Your comment makes me think I should compile all of the freebies I've posted about that are still current for newer readers, or for anyone that missed them. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carrie - You've got a deal. Making bread is much harder that getting a good deal.

    I really like Dierbergs meat. Ground chuck usually runs $3.30 lb.($1.99 lb. this week) and split chicken breasts $2.79 (.99 this week). So, I figured my average savings was about 50%.

    I'm going to use my splurge funds for things I don't ever find on sale (good bread products)or meat/fish about my $2 lb. target price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally got a CVS card in the mail. Now maybe I can figure out how the whole thing works. I don't understand if there is a running total on your card or if you just tell them which ECB you want to use. Can someone please explain that part of it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeri, There is a book out there called Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day that has totally changed the way I cook. I checked it out at the library (there was quite a wait) but it was worth it, and you can get most of the recipes online. I might even buy their newest book.

    Basically you make a big batch of dough that you can leave in your fridge for up to 2 weeks. It's incredibly easy and there is no kneading involved.

    Here are couple of links.

    They have a bunch of videos on YouTube if you want to watch a video.

    P.s. I recently got a baking stone for ten dollars. I heat that and the bottom part of my cast iron dutch oven. Then I put the dough right on the baking stone and turn the heated dutch oven bottom over, and place it on top of the loaf. This gives me a really good crust every time:)

    You can make everything from regular loaves, to bagels with the master recipe.I usually halve the regular recipe since that is enough to make about 4 good sized loaves. And the olive oil dough recipe is insanely great for pizza.

    And the best part is if you have any questions about anything, you can go to the official blog and just leave a comment in one of the posts. The authors are so kind and answered all of my questions within a day or two of asking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't add any links, but if you google it or check out their website you'll find all the info you need:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynda - ECB's sound confusing and are hard to expalin in words, but they are really easy to deal with. Once you try the process it all makes sense.

    When you checkout, present your Extra Care card to the cashier. Everything now will now print on your reciept. The receipt is very long and here is the order of what's on it.

    1. List of what you bought including what you saved. (Coupons used listed the same what the grocery stores do and not Target's crzay way.)

    2. Extra Care Card Balances: YTD savings, Quarterly spending and This Week's ECB offer balances. (This is where you can tell if you have reached your limits or how many more time you need to use your bag tag before you get the $1 ECB.)

    3. ECBs - They print at the bottom of your receipt. Tear them off and use them like a RR or Catalina coupon. There is a seperate ECB for each offer.

    I love ECBs printing on the receipt. You don't have to wonder if the second machine is working to get them.

    I know you'll love CVS, even though you had a rough first trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenny B - I found the web site. Wow! I'm going to spend my splurge funds on the book. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

    My husband and kids love good bread. It is one thing I've not bought enough of since I started couponing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What does "Winter 2010 Savings" mean on the CVS receipt? I've made 5 trips to CVS and my receipt only shows $12.11 spending although I know I've spent much more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi CJ - I haven't been able to figure out how that is figured either. I need to go back and add up my receipt to see how close it is to what I've spent and saved. I'll see if I can remember to ask the next time I'm at CVS.

    Do any of the Illinois readers know?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jeri for the information. I think I get it a little better. I guess I just need to take the plunge again now that I have my card.

    ReplyDelete