Contact Me






Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Shopping Plans

This post was a big hit with lots of readers last week. So, I'll continue to post my shopping plans. I hope to post this by Wednesday each week, but this week, the flu really knocked me out of commission for a few days and I'm still trying to catch up.

It's been my mode of operation to "cherry pick" at quite a few stores throughout the week, but not this week. I just don't have it in me. Thank goodness I don't need much the freezer and pantry are stocked. I have my "splurge funds" and will be dipping into them this week.


Here is what I plan to shop for this week

Aldi - My husband was so nice to go for me. He picked up the essentials - milk, creamer, bread and garlic. I hope to get their in the next few days to buy strawberries.

Dierbergs - I'm shopping today - can't miss the Thursday only sale.
  • Whole Center Cut Pork Loin - I bought one on these some months ago and had the butcher cut about half of it into chops and the other half into a couple of small roasts. This time I'm going to have the butcher cut it all into chops. This will probably run about $20
  • Dutch Farms American Singles - 99 cents is about as good of price as I've seen on American Singles.
  • Bird Eye Veggies - I can never have enough of .29 veggies.
  • Dole Tropical Fruit Salad - I prefer fresh fruit, but for some reason my son loves Dole Fruit Salad.
  • C&H Brown Sugar - I was hoping sugar would be a better price here at Easter, but I'm out of brown sugar so I'm picking up one.
  • Spiral Sliced Ham - It might be cheaper elsewhere, but I think Dierbergs has the best quality meat.
  • Philly Cream Cheese - Jillbert left a comment that she found this marked down to 2/$1 at her store. I'll pick some up if I can find it for this price.

Schnucks -

  • Snuggle - I can't miss the freebie.
  • Bird Eye Veggies - Since Dierbergs has the three like coupon rule, I'll pick more up at Schnucks
  • KC Masterpiece BBQ - My husbands favorite brand. I never found this on a good sale last year. He'll be happy to have something beside Kraft BBQ.
  • Fresh Express Cole Slaw - Probably not the least expensive way to buy cabbage. But, it is sure easy.

Target - Hopefully, I have enough energy to stop at Target also.

  • Oscar Mayer Bacon - I haven't used my $1.50 coupons.
  • Starbucks Coffee - Yep, I'm dipping into the "splurge funds" this week.

This is not going to be a shopping week to brag about. I usually know what I'm going to be spending as I put my list together. Not today. But, I do know I'm going to spending a lot less than I did before I started shopping sale and using coupons.

What are your plans for the week? Who has the week to brag about?

13 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the meat at Dierbergs. Its the only place that I have been buying meat in the last 6 months. And no one can beat those 5 packages of meat for $19.99 sale. They ROCK!!

    Thanks for writing this blog. I find it incredibly helpful and you have taught me how to save on groceries and stuff!! My husband teases me about the lingo (catalina, stacking,etc) but he doesnt complain when he sees how much I save on groceries and we actually have a stocked freezer, pantry or fridge with the foods that he likes. :)
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased Twister at Toys R Us for $8.99. I used my $4 off coupon and will get a $3 rebate. A great Easter gift for the kids for $2!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had a great price on strawberries at the Wentzville Dierbergs- same price as Aldi's. Hope you feel better soon, that flu really knocks you out. Thanks for your work on this blog- it's a huge help. Trish in Wentzville

    ReplyDelete
  4. A slow week for me. Just got juice, free eggs, sausage gravy, cauliflower, ground beef, free Snuggle and free bread crumbs at SNS and Schnucks. New sneakers, a pillow and a few travel size freebies at Target and Walmart, and the RR freebies at Walgreens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I didn't get my free ponies at TRU, but I did get 6 toys and two free plushes for $24 after gift card and rebates. Also, my Ore Ida were .50 (total for three) at Target, but my .56 overage from my Arm and Hammer toothpaste paid for it. But otherwise, it feels like I'm spending like crazy, because I'm stocking up on the cheap soda and last week on meat (ok, I'm sold on my Save-A-Lot's meat). But, I'm not really spending that much on groceries, but buying fine wine at great prices (Schnucks, check it out!), our favorite beers, toys for the kids. Have I fallen off the saving wagon? No, but I've learned to spend when the sales are awesome, because last January I found myself with a depleted pantry and no sales! Kelly (I'm drinking my fine wine now, so a little writty:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine - You're welcome. I'm glad I can help. I love bring home a favorite of my husbands or kids for almost no money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi CJ & Kelly - Thanks for sharing your shopping. I love to see what others are buying too.

    Kelly, I agree the longer you coupon, the better you get at predicting how much you need to buy to get you to the next great price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeri,
    How did you get started couponing? How did you determine what your weekly budget should be? What was it before? Sorry for all the questions, but that would make an interesting post for me. :)
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carrie - I know I should write that post, but I haven't. The very short story is I saw Coupon Mom on Oprah in the fall of 2008. Within several weeks of seeing that show, my husband lost his job. My budget instanly become was how little could I spend and still feed family.

    Before couponing I probably spent $175 or kmore weekly. But, that was buying Sauve and the house brands a lot of the time.

    I know I still need to write the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should have read that for typos before posting, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No rush on the post, I was just curious! I went from spending $150/wk and never having any food to spending $80/wk and having more things than I ever thought possible. We have 4 kids who are homeschooled (translation: they are always here and always EATING!:) so I struggle to get my budget any lower than that but I know it can be done. I think it will get better and better as baby gets older and I am able to cherry pick with ease. Right now, everything is such a hassle. What does your family think of couponing? Mine is totally on board, even my husband, who built shelving for me to house my stockpile. It took a while for him to see the benefits, tho. Well thanks for the info and I'm glad you are feeling better. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carrie - Hope you had a nice Easter. I think a weekly budget of $80 for a family with 4 kids isn't bad. I'm only feeding 3 (plus a box shipped to my college student every once in a while). A,nd my highschooler wouldn't be caught dead taking his lunch. The lunch amount of his allowance is not in my food budget.

    My family is on board with couponing. My husband loves how little we now spend and food and my son even looks for coupon on things he wants me to buy.

    ReplyDelete