Contact Me






Friday, November 5, 2010

Saved 92% This Week

I had another great week of shopping, although I'm in need of some great prices on meat.  I might have to devote next week's budget to just meat, even if I don't find a great price.

Shop 'n Save
Quite a few readers have been asking how anyone can get under $5 a trip to Shop 'n Save.  Andrea left her shopping break down in the comments of this week's Shop 'n Save deals, and made the comment that seeing other's scenarios really helper her as a new couponer.  I agree Andrea,  I should put a few scenarios in for people to see.  Thanks, Andrea, for the inspiration.

Trip #1
$24.00 (4) California Pizzas (4 - $2 IPs)
$4.00 (4) Green Giant Boxed Veggies (.50 IP and .60 from inserts)
$7.50 (6) Pillsbury Grands (3 - .50/2 from inserts)
$2.00 (1) Farmland Pre Cooked Bacon ($1 from inserts)
$4.00 (4) Renuzits  (4 - $1 IPs)
$2.16 (2) Idahoan Potatoes (2- $1 IP)
$2.34 (3) Maruchan Yakisoba (3- $.50 form inserts)
$2.88 (1) Wheat Thin Stix (FREE coupon sent to me in mail)
$1.58 (1) 20 oz. Diet Coke ( FREE from My Coke Rewards)

- $10/$50 Thursday discount
-$5/$50 coupon from Entertainment book
- $5 General Mills Instant Savings
- $23.56 from coupons listed above
= $6.90 + tax  ($.61)
- $.69 (10% discount - Paid for transaction with gift card I bought using a $5 off $50 coupon from the Entertainment books)
Final cost: $6.21 + tax and received a $3 Catalina coupon from California Pizza & $3 Catalina from Pillsbury biscuits.

Trip #2
$18.00 (9) Chex Cereal (3-$3/3 tearpad)
$15.00 (10) Green Giant Steamers (5- .50/2 inserts)
$5.00 (2) Buddig Deli Cuts (2-$1 inserts)
$4.00 (2) Kahiki Egg Rolls ($2/2 Catalina coupon)
$3.08 (1) Nutella ($1  inserts)
$1.00 (1) Betty Crocker Potatoes (.55 IP)
$2.50 (1) Krunchers ($1 inserts)
$1.01 (2) Fuji apples
$1.58 (1) 20 oz. Diet Coke (FREE from My Coke Rewards)

- $10/$50 Thursday discount
-$5/$50 coupon from Entertainment book
-$19.63 coupons listed above
-$10.00 General Mills Instant Savings
- $6.00 Catalinas from previous transaction
= $0.54 + tax ($0.47)
- $0.05 (10% discount - Paid for transaction with gift card I bought using a $5 off $50 coupon from the Entertainment books)

= $0.49 + tax
Before Sales & Coupons: $144.10
Spent: $6.70
Saved: $137.76 for a 92% savings

CVS
It's so exciting that two more CVS's opened in town.  Not only because of the $5/$20 coupon in the Post-Dispatch, but the new South City store is much closer to home.  I was hoping it would be as coupon friendly as the other store I shopped, and to my surprise the manager is from that store. I don't know what I was fretting about.
Before sales & coupons: $28.48
Spent: $0.00 and $4.48 in ECB's
Saved: $28.48 for a 100% savings

Walgreens
I traded my Register Rewards for Shop 'n Save $5 off $50 coupons in the Entertainment Book. I still have $9.50 in Register Rewards, so I didn't completely wipe out my stash. Although, I'm hoping for some good money makers in the next few months.   I'd like to pick up another Entertainment book with Register Rewards.

Before sales & coupon: $48.94
Spent: $3.16 and $26.50 in Register Rewards
Saved: $45.78 fora 94% savings


Aldi
Comparable Schnucks price: $25.12
Spent: $11.03
Saved: $14.10 for a 56% saving

Weekly Totals
Before sales & coupons: $246.65
Spent: $20.89
Saved: $225.76 for a 92% savings


Year to Date Totals
Spent: $1,285.15 ($40 weekly average)
Saved: $6,508.25 ($145 weekly average)

Splurge Funds: $100.73

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. I use it for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for. 

14 comments:

  1. you did Amazing!!!!


    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, VERY nice; I would love to see you do a scenario for us with Shop & Save like you do with Walgreens. You are amazing...Thanks for helping all of us so much! Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, All That Glitters!

    Hi Tami - I'm usually scrambling on Thursday to put my scenario together, but I know it would be helpful to many to see. I use the info that readers leave in the comment section to come up with what I'm going to buy. Maybe I should wirte a post where others could leave their scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jeri....wait till you see the ad for Walgreens on Nov 25-27th. It is the ad we have been waiting for. I hate to say it but I will be at Walgreens on Thanksgiving. That sounds so bad but there are so many things that are free and I hope we will have coupons so they will be money makers. Oh and awesome job of shopping for you this week. Thanks for posting and for everything you do to help us make it on our ever shrinking grocery budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be awesome to see the seniro prior to shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I missing something with the Entertainment book coupon? It's my understanding that you have to buy a $50 gift card for $45. If your total is $25, then you are only using 1/2 the gift card (and getting a $2.50/10% discount). Can they take the coupon off at the register, before you use your coupons?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon-- in the last couple years SnS has given the option of save $5 on $50 purchase OR $50 gift card. You can buy a gift card then use another coupon at checkout to save both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks,Tamarah! I liked up to your site.

    Hi Anonymous - Tonya explained the Entertainment books well. I bought those books for years through the school and until the last couple of years never shopped at SNS. I've only known it where you can to both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the scenarios Jeri!! Thanks for sharing with us. I am usually working mine up Thursday morning too - but I will try to share more.
    I may have said that it helped me when I was new, but who am I kidding - it still helps now ;)
    Thanks for your hard work for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea - You're welcome. Thanks for all your contributions. I will try to write up more scenarios. The feeback of what people want to see if very valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you mentioned the $5 off $20 at CVS in the post dispatch...when/where was this? I haven't been to CVS yet but I have been wanting to. This would definitely help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Niki - For the last two Sundays, CVS had put a $5 off $20 coupon good for the St Louis stores in their ad that was in the Post-Dispatch Both coupons have been good just for one week.

    The CVS ad was not in all of the papers; it must be only certain zip codes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jeri...I'm in Fenton so I guess I'm not close enough to a CVS to get an ad

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Niki - It is really spotty where CVS's ads are in the Post-Dispatch. The new store in South City dosen't even have their ad in the papers they are selling.

    ReplyDelete