Contact Me






Monday, October 17, 2011

What's for Dinner? Spicy Sausage Cauliflower Soup

photo from Paula Dean Magazine .com
When I saw Aldi had cauliflower on sale for $0.89,  I instantly knew one dish I would make for dinner this week - Paula Dean's Spicy Sausage & Cauliflower Soup.

I stumbled across this recipe a year or so ago, and it quickly became a family favorite. 

Except for the  fresh cauliflower, I usually have the other ingredients in my freezer or pantry.  And if I don't, I'll make a few substitutions:  milk and a tablespoon of butter substitute for half & half (I'm sure Paula wouldn't complain I was adding a little butter to her recipe), and a few drop of hot sauce make up for having regular sausage instead of spicy.

What's for dinner at your house this evening? 

Having problems posting  a comment?  See my Leave a Comment post with a quick fix to the problem.

9 comments:

  1. we are going to have this too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be soup day! Chili here tonight. I finally caved and bought the overpriced ground beef...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LeAnn - We'll have to cook togeather!

    Hi Melissa - I have started using sausage in my chili and spaghetti becuase I can usually find it for a better price than burger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a similar recipe that may be a bit healthier. My pickiest kid (the kind who picks specks of parsley out of pasta) will eat this even though it has tons of cauliflower and spinach.

    It's simply:
    link sausage (brown in olive oil, steam till cooked, remove)
    after sausage add: Cauliflower, spinach, chicken broth to cover - a bit can be water...bring to boil
    When boiling add about a cup of pasta and the sausage.

    DELICIOUS. Put parmesan on top. We like it with hot italian sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ours is from Pam Anderson's "How to cook without a book"

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had gluten free pizza - it was very yummy! {And the best news? There's leftovers for later this week!}

    I think it's funny that you can find better deals on sausage than ground beef in STL. In Wisconsin, I think I've purchased sausage ONCE in the past 10 months because it is SOOO much more expensive than beef! :)

    What a difference in grocery prices across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had pasta with white sauce and shrimp with veggies on the side. I was hoping we'd have more left, but with five kids including a teen and a tween boy, that is happening less and less!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use ground turkey in my chili. At around $1.69 for a roll at Aldi, it's much cheaper than ground beef and I like the softer texture of the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All - Thanks for sharing what was for your dinner. I think this is kind of fun seeing what others are cooking.

    The Pam Anderson recipe sound MUCH healthier than Paula Deans. Do you use fresh or frozen spinach?

    Staci - Yummy! With your age kids, and the boy, you can quit counting on left overs. My montra is "Save some for your dad's lunch tomorrow."

    Emily - Oh, how I wish beef ways less expensive. I'm getting tired of pork.

    CJ - I don't think I could slip ground turkey past my husband and son. But, if prices keep going the way they have, I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete