Contact Me






Friday, June 11, 2010

Saved 74% This Week

It's nice to have a stocked freezer and pantry. Besides the free Oreos, there wasn't too much on sale that interested me. I can save my money for better sales next week.


CVS
I ended up at CVS at 9:00 Tuesday evening with $15 in ECBs expiring at midnight. Of course, they were out of stock of any of the good ECB deals. That's what I get for waiting until the last minute. So, toilet paper it was to spend my ECBs.

Before sales & coupons: $20.04
Spent: $0.00
Saved: $20.94 for 100%

Shop 'n Save
I had coupons for FREE 20 oz. Cokes, so not only did I get those for free, but the Hershey bars, too, with this week's deal - buy 20 oz. Cokes, get Hershey bars for FREE. It sure makes for a strange mix.

Before sales & coupons: $16.05
Spent: $3.92
Saved: $12.13 for 76%

Dierbergs
I found half-priced, day-old buns in a clearance section. I've never noticed bakery items on clearance before at Dierbergs, and probably would have missed them this week if they hadn't been in the same aisle as the Oreos.

Before sales & coupons: $40.17
Spent: $11.01
Saved: $29.16 for 73%

Aldi
Comparable Schnucks price: $14.31
Spent: $8.93
Saved: $5.38 for 38%

Weekly Totals
Before sales & coupons: $90.75
Spent: $23.86
Saved: $66.71 for 74%

Year to Date Totals
Spent: $968.17
($42 weekly average)
Saved: $3024.32 ($131 weekly average)

Splurge Funds: $173.22

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. I use it for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for.

6 comments:

  1. Great job! I always like to see how much you saved from week to week. Check out what I got this week in our $40/week budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and those year to date totals are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeri, Some CVS's take expired ECB's for 1 week, and other stores a month or more. This week I overheard a manager telling a customer they take them no matter when they expire and not to let a cashier tell her no. By the time I checked out, the manager was gone and I forgot to ask how to make sure I could use expired ones at that store if she wasn't there. So be sure to ask your manager about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Dierberg's rolls are a family favorite here. I found some for $1.25 on the "clearance shelf" too . They aren't day old though- dated 6/13 and they are typically good for a couple days after that. I freeze them as soon as I get home and then we use them for meals.

    Sometimes if they over bake you'll see them at manager's special for $1/pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday, I called Dierbergs Mackenzie Pt. to ask if I could use (5) Oreo free coupons in one transaction. Spoke with a CS person who transferred my call to a Manager. Talked to a Ms. Liza Robinson (who I learned when we got there that she is a manager trainee). When I spoke to her, at first she told me that limit is (2) per customer per visit then I asked if I can use (5) all at once so I don't need to be going back and forth. She confirmed with someone then said, okay we'll accommodate your request since we still got more.

    Went there, got the (5) cookies, $1 spinach, $1.99 yogurt (which hubby insisted to get even if it was not on sale. grrr. :) , and some bananas. Before we checked out, I told cashier very nicely that I called awhile ago, spoke with Liza Robinson who said I can use the (5) free coupons in one transaction. Cashier said, she has to verify but Liza Robinson is off work already. She called the "real" manager to the check-out register who happened to be the person whom Liza Robinson confirmed with. And SHE DENIED that Liza said YES to my request! She said Liza did not say something like that. I was so upset but I kept my calm. I don't have any proof so what can I do?! I asked cashier if hubby can do one separate order since their policy says "2 free Oreo coupons per customer" then she said NO, you two are together so you can't be two customers.

    I was really sooo upset that I wanted to leave everything but I did not want to waste our trip and get nothing. So I just handed the cashier the (3) Oreo packs and checked out with the (2) Oreos and the rest of the items that hubby really want and need (don't want him to throw a tantrum).

    When we got to the car, I thought of going back for another "visit" but I was afraid they might throw me out of the store if I attempt to do it because their "2 per customer per visit policy" seemed to be interpreted as "2 per customer period!".

    It was my worst couponing experience. It's not the FREE Oreos anymore but them acting like I was lying. They did not say it, but obviously I was a LIAR to them. It really hurts so bad.

    When we got home, told hubby sadly that I think I need a recorder so I can record a phone conversation with Customer Service people especially at Dierbergs and have a proof to bring with me to the store. That is, if ever we will still go back there. :(

    Too bad, I was thinking of giving some of the cookies to friends. I could have just given the (3) coupons to some people shopping there since hubby doesn't like to make anymore trips there just for the cookies but I was so upset I did not think about it when we were still at the store. :(



    Sorry for the long story. Just wanna share, hoping no one will experience the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mrs. Fisher - I always like you check out yours also. I loved you garden pictures too.

    Hi Prudent Patron - Thanks for stopping by.

    Hi Judy - I learn something new everyday. I'm going to ask at my CVS next time I'm there.

    Hi Liz - Thanks for the info. I'm going to be watcing for them more often.

    Hi coupon.girl - Gosh, I hate to hear about the problems you had, but thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete