Contact Me






Friday, September 10, 2010

Saved 70% This Week

I dipped into my splurge funds again this week. I bought 15 pounds of pork loin in one shopping trip, so I could send in for the $20 Heineken beer rebate. I would have never had enough space to do this without my new freezer. I'm sure my shopping habits are going to change a bit with the additional freezer space.

Shop 'n Save
I couldn't resist going back to Shop 'n Save this week to roll some Catalina coupons and take advantage of the great Kraft deal. My new freezer is filling up fast with cheese and Green Giant veggies.

I bought the salsa as so I could use my Catalina coupons. I felt like I was at Walgreens looking for a filler.

Before sales & coupons: $44.72
Spent: $0.12
Saved: $44.69 for a 99+% savings

My Husband's trip to Schnucks
It's not a summer holiday weekend at our house without pork steaks and baby back ribs. After the marathon shopping trip to Shop 'n Save last Thursday, I didn't think I could walk back in a grocery store. My husband volunteered to go to Schnucks - he wasn't going to miss baby backs.

My trip to Schnucks

Before sales & coupons: $115.48
Spent: $35.60
Saved: $79.88 for a 69% savings

Aldi
Comparable Schnucks price: $15.65
Spent: $9.14
Saved: $6.51 for a 42% savings

My Splurge
This ended up being a great deal. I went to Schnucks to buy the rib half pork loin that was on sale this week. Since they were out of the pork loin on sale, the butcher offered to substitute a better cut for the same price. I'm glad I asked the butcher where to find the sale meat.

Before sale: $73.95
Spent: $28.91
Saved: $45.04 for a 61% savings

Weekly Totals
Before Sales & coupon: $249.80
Spent: $73.77
Saved: $176.03 for a 70% savings

Year to Date Totals
Spent: $1,468.32
($40 weekly average)
Saved: $4,652.31 ($126 weekly average)

Splurge Funds: $17.56

For those who don't read my blog on a regular basis, my splurge funds are the difference between what I've actually spent and my $50 budget. I use it for those items I never find on sale or that I don't have coupons for.

13 comments:

  1. Hi & Good morning to All- Jeri you are doing Great at filling that freezer=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, like I said, you have the "Freezer" bug. Now, I need to get you cooking "freezer" meals so you don't have to cook as much. I pretty much cook alot and freeze whole main dishes. It is great on those business nights. Also, a great place to store those Nestle chips and butter. I freeze the Land of Lakes Spread, it does great. I think I have 10 in mine right now. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda--I tried to email you--had problem--Ms. Jeri is to pass my info onto you =) Hope to talk to you soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet & Rhonda - Before I could respond, I had to get up and go put the choc. chips in the freezer. Chocolate Chips are a hard item to keep the entire family out of. When the bag is in the cabinet, it's to easy to open and eat them all when any one in the family wants a chocolate fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, great shopping, Ms. Jeri! That freezer surely helps a lot with your "couponing"! :)

    Oh, other than being a $1 each, did I miss a good deal on the Chocolate chips and Dial soap? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, sorry...never mind about my choco chips and Dial question. I saw it now on Schnucks page. I was so focused on SnS' good deals, I didn't even bother looking closely at your Schnucks weekly deals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi coupon.girl - Schnucks has some great deals this week.

    Make money purchasing Land O Lakes spread. On sale for $1 and it's triggering a $0.75 Cat wyb 1. Coupons out there for $0.40 and $0.50.

    I wish I had time to go back for more. I just learned from Rhonda you can freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeri,

    I did notice one important item missing from your purchases. DUTCH FARM ENGLISH MUFFINS:-)
    I know those are your favorites. Good thing the sale runs through Monday. You have me hooked on them and I have my walking buddy hooked on them. They freeze really well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rhonda - I haven't made it to Dierbergs yet this week. Hopefully, I can get there before the sale is over. I hadn't thought about freezing the English muffins. I'm going to have to change how I think with the new freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeri,

    If you have any questions about freezing stuff, let me know. I would be more than happy to help you out. One thing I find I really like to do when I buy meat (like the pork loin) is to mix up a marinade mix (like the weber from last week but I don't use the oil - just water) and freeze dinner portions of chops in ziplocs with the marinade. It really penetrates the meat for great flavor and really enhances the tenderness. Also, with chicken I will cook extra portions, shred it, freeze it and use it for all sorts of dishes. I love them and I can tell you are loving yours. Again, congrats and thanks for all of your help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I lived at Schnucks this week, so many good deals that I made 4 or 5 trips. Hope SNS has some good sales next week so I can use up my $5 Kraft catalina before it expires.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeri,

    Has the Kraft catalina deal ended? I went tonight and bought 10 packages of cheese in 2 different transactions, but no $5 coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Allison - The Kraft $5 Catalina was over on 9/7/10. But if you were using the $5 coupons it still was a heck of a deal.

    ReplyDelete